Well look no further, because I have compiled for you the 7 styles of interiors most used in modern homes for 2020. Actually, these styles are obtained by mixing different elements of various styles of decoration. But it is necessary to know the fundamental aspects of each one, so that you can decorate your home for yourself.
In addition to these that I show you today, there are more ways to decorate interiors, but in this case, I want to focus on the main styles that are in trend. I hope that this list makes you discard those elements that do not match your tastes. So you get the style that best suits what you really need.
Do you want to discover what are the 7 most popular styles in interior decoration?
The modernism was an international avant – garde movement that emerged at the end of the century nineteenth and early twentieth centuries and spread to almost all the arts including architecture and design. Framed in an era of industrial development, this artistic trend aimed to innovate in aesthetics, formally, without neglecting the real usefulness of objects.
The productive process was united with the artisanal development, in this way the elegance of the elements with the functionality was kept. This work paid off, and led to a revolution in structures. Incredible results were achieved by playing with glass, metal, wrought iron or different types of wood, materials in which quality always prevailed.
The golden age of this movement that was in the mid-twentieth century and hence the name: Mid Century Modern. The finishes were much simpler, without many details, but with high functionality. Hence, always comply with the characteristics of form and function. It had great boom in the Scandinavian countries, here was betting on a technological design, functional and affordable. (Nordic style)
It was a visionary and innovative style for its time that is still valid today especially in furniture, where we found pieces that became icons of design.
Features Mid Century Modern:
- Simple, linear and clean forms of subtle elegance.
- Elimination of unnecessary details.
- The forms and structures are shown, they do not hide.
- Industrial production elements are included in the design.
- Nature prevails, adapting housing to it and using natural material elements such as wood.
- Fluency and horizontality between the different spaces of the house.
In addition, creative ways to use new materials such as molded plastic, plywood and aluminum in industrial design. These resulting pieces are very versatile and can complement a variety of design styles.
The industrial style, also known as loft style. It is a decorative style that has its origin in the typical architecture of the industry, old ships of the New York of the 50. Later converted into housing for artists and immigrants who could not pay rent for an apartment in the city.
An unpretentious architecture and visual appeal that has to do with its exposed brick structure and its materials. Emphasis is placed on the liberal use of exposed steel with wooden elements. A more modern variant, includes accents in copper tones. A rough, rustic, cold and somewhat rough.
Tips to get an indutrial style:
- Large windows
- Materials seen and worn, such as: brick, cement and lots of steel.
- Pillars and exposed beams
- Conduits and pipes of the facilities in sight
- Diaphanous spaces, wide, without partition, with very high ceilings
The industrial style, depending on your tastes, can be mixed with retro, vintage elements – due to the use of antique elements, such as rusty or worn furniture due to the passage of time:). Nordic, rustic or chic. Decorating your rooms with your own style.
The marine or nautical decoration is ideal for sea lovers, since it promises to transfer that maritime sensation in the home and, in addition, to endow it with tranquility. But pay special attention if your house is in areas of cold weather. Because this decorative style is characterized by transmitting freshness to the environment.
And if it is your case, I recommend that you contribute to your stays warmth and comfort. Or if it’s your favorite, just apply this decoration to a single room.
Keys to a Navy or nautical style:
- Use of blue and white striped prints (type sweater of the English Channel fisherman at the beginning of the 19th century), in upholstery, textiles, wallpaper.
- Elements and accessories such as: reproductions of sailboats, shells, starfish, rudders, oars, lanterns, floats, ropes, etc.
- Stairs and boat rails, to emphasize the style if it is your favorite.
- Wood pouring, for furniture, accessories, wall covering (skirting), as in the decks of boats.
I WANT MY HOME TO HAVE MY FAVORITE STYLE NOW!
All these elements, you can use them to a greater or lesser extent; Everything will depend on the marine degree you want to get for your home. However, I recommend you use these ideas to decorate without messing up the environment.
Do not want to place all the elements at once! Remember that less is more ;)!
A branch of the modern movement of the mid-twentieth century. The Scandinavian design introduced a functional and minimalist aspect, within the interior architecturelasting thus, until our days. Although most people associate with IKEA, there is a variety or subset of style, within the same Scandinavian design.
The hygge style is based on the well-being of people through the creation of a simple environment that transmits peace and tranquility. The search for happiness is the main purpose of this decoration, which, through the small details, tries to create an environment that favors calmness while enjoying the little things in life.
And what better way than being comfortable in your home!
Characteristics of the Scandinavian style (hygge):
- Simplicity, uniformity of colors
- Soft contours
- Balance of organic and industrial materials
- Furniture of simple, contemporary and functional forms.
- Basic elements but that bring warmth and comfort to the environment
- Light colors, white, beige or gray.
And it is that hygge (because of its Danish origin), it has a charming aesthetic, simple and natural, almost rustic.
The bohemian style, also known as hippie chic, boho chic or gypsy, has become a trend. The decoration of Bohemia captures the free and adventurous spirit of the avant-garde lifestyle. Hippie chic represents the lifestyle of people who enjoy simple things, contact with nature.
To give value to the old, to history, to enjoy life in a more carefree way.
The Bohemian style is characterized by:
- Be a pretty loose and casual style
- Where the use of color stands out boldly
- Use natural materials, wood, animal skin (here I would prefer it to be synthetic) in contrast to metallic details.
- Ethnic and nomadic elements, such as Moroccan accessories or tribal designs.
- Use of rich and creative prints of vibrant colors, in purple or red tones. (In textiles, upholstery or carpets)
I WANT TO TRANSFORM MY HOME IN THE SPACE I HAVE ALWAYS DREAMED!
The key to this style is to present an aspect of space that is purposely “dirty, or messy”. Of a totally warm atmosphere.
This type of country house decoration is a modern approach to rustic or farmhouse interior decoration, inspired by an English cottage in the countryside. Mostly Shabby Chic character, with some traditional elements mixed, its farm aesthetic, moves you to the French Provence.
The keys to achieve this style are:
- The color is similar to nautical decoration with base colors mostly white and beige.
- The furniture of this style is characterized by being aged wood and upholstered with patterned fabrics
- The most common accent colors are lilac, turquoise or soft yellow.
- Use a careful arrangement of vases and pots with nice bunches of flowers, or even dried flowers.
- The use of henhouse mesh for the doors of cupboards or cabinets.
- Accessories of vintage character.
I WANT MY CUSTOMIZED INTERIOR DECORATIVE GUIDE!
The overall aspect of your decoration, as happens with the nautical style. It will be determined by the elements and accessories that you use to decorate your rooms.
A new version of the oldest of all, the classic. Its most current, not the original, since there are few who renew their house or premises with the purest version. The classic style has evolved towards more contemporary environments leaving behind, the heaviness of the fabrics and the noble woods.
The dark finishes and the “horror vacui” that made the whole space recharged was extremely opulent.
Tips to get a classic decoration renovated:
- Contrast between the clarity of white walls and the generally dark furniture, although you can also see completely clear spaces. (Both the space and the furniture)
- Traditional forms such as moldings on walls, ceilings and doors, skirting boards of considerable height are maintained.
- Furniture of simpler lines of conservative essence, are combined with high quality fabrics. Smooth or with subtle patterns of soft colors that barely stand out.
- Mix of more modern pieces through its design or its finishing material. Like the contrast of sofa in tufted glass tables and shiny metal.
The objective is to achieve a balance that provides greater lightness to the environment through the use of more modern pieces.
This has been my particular vision of interior decoration styles that are trending this year. Although some are valid for more than three centuries and others several decades.
* NOTE: the images are all from pinterest and google, modified by me to make the moodboards.
I hope this guide will help you to decide on the style that best suits your tastes and needs. If you find difficulties, because you all love them, and do not know which one to decide, count on me to help you;).